onsdag den 1. april 2009

A story from a danish Fairway owner.

Let me start with a small introduction of myself.
I’m a married man, aged of 49 years. I live in the country side of Denmark near the city of the famous storyteller H.C. Andersen called Odense.
In 2005 I did get the possibility to live out a longtime dream, namely to be the owner of one of the most known “symbols” of “god old” England. The black Cab.
After a small surf on the internet, I found the London Taxi Export, I started up with some e-mail to John Bradley, and to say it directly – I found that John was and still is a very professional businessman, so I made the decision to buy my own London Cab. Quickly the transfer was made and the Cab ready for shipment. I got an e-mail that the Cab was in the port of Harwich and ready to be transported with DFDS to Denmark.
A friend was so kindly to lent me a pair of “test plate” something which is a law in Denmark to have on the car, when it has not been approved by the customs.
Well, on the train from Odense to Esbjerg and huh, the small birds in the stomach were kicking, Here I was on the way to get my “lifedream” and all I knew, was that I had brought an used London Cab in black and that the Cab was able to drive from London Taxi Export to Harwich – THAT WAS ALL.
Getting to the port and pay for the transport – and I have the keys in my hand, and I looked in the large parking area and in the corner ---- stood she – my MAGGIE. Well, not completely black – she did have an add for Norwich bank in yellow on the side, but this was only made in some kind of folio, so it was easy to remove. Now was the time so start her up. Great sound and feeling, she started and was ready to go.
After a small repair – she did need new brakes and tires, she was ready to meet the Danish customs so that I could pay the duty for getting the Danish numberplates on the Cab. It was quite easy and without any problems a tall. Ok I was so lucky that I found a friend how had a cab which already was on Danish plates, so I got a copy of the registration document, in order to get all the details in place.
I decided to make a Danish web-site called www.London-taxi.dk in order to make the Cab visual for other danes. Maybe it was the cause that I get some e-mails and requests of driving weddings – birthdays etc.
It is so much fun to drive to a bride and pick her up, on her big day, driving her to the church and see the reasons from the groom and guests when they come out from the church, I have made the tradition to have a small tray with two glasses and a ½ bottle of champagne to toast to the bride and groom, this gives also the pair a chance to relax just a bit, before the party. This gives me a lot of good and positive times, off course I stay away from “focus” as it is the pair and maybe the Cab who should be in focus on this day.
Normally to a wedding “Maggie” is off course cleaned and polished – a very good friend of mine has made a decoration – formed as a rose which is place in the grill in front, the Danish national flag is placed in the rear windows and in the passenger cabin is placed a red carpet and a small basket with two glassed and the ½ bottle of champagne, which by the way I import from a company in Luxembourg, I found that this champagne matches the Danish taste.
You are so welcome to check out the web site www.london-taxi.dk and see some of the pictures from the various events
One of the different things she has taken part in, was being a “shoe-seller” in Copenhagen. A Danish company selling English shoes of the brand of Hudson was on the Copenhagen fashion week, and they though that it would be a good idea to have something “true” British as an eye catcher, and they asked me if I would help them, and I found the idea very good. It was a very funny week-end, a lot of people to watch and ask all the “normal” questions, like where did you buy it, how much, etc.
The cab “Maggie” is in fact used almost every day as my normal form for transportation. Ok – when it is snow and ice on the road, she stays inside in the garage and waits for better weather.
Now I have been the happy owner for more than 3 years and Maggie has shown all her sides. Mostly good but she have had the need of a new gearbox and just now she is awaiting a steering box. But in general she starts, runs every time I need her.
My life dream of having my own London cab has come true. In fact I could not think of not having a London cab, this means that when Maggie will retire, she will be replaced by another London cab, maybe the newer model, but my heart is to the FX4 – Fairway, but hopefully I have many years to decide in, meaning that Maggie will and must be mine for many years to come.
Finally I feel the need to give great credit to London Taxi Export and John Bradley for always be ready to help and deliver parts, when needed. It’s very professional and quickly answers from them. Also when helping other danes who will purchase an used Cab, in fact I have been taken part in helping two other danes to get their cab from London Taxi Export, and as always the services were very good and well done.

3 kommentarer:

  1. Good morning,

    I'm happy to read the nice story you wrote here... I am looking for a black cab, too, a Fairway Driver, too, and reading your feelings when you met Maggie allows a shiver of anticipation...

    I wish you many other years of happiness with your nice black old lady,

    Best regards,

    Olivier, FRANCE

    SvarSlet
  2. Hi there, I'm just sending emails back and forth with John Bradley as I'm looking to buy a Fairway too and reading your story makes me even more agitated about this lovely car. Many greetings to you and Maggie!!! Anke, Germany

    SvarSlet
  3. Fairway Owners Club.com and Forumis a great place to meet fellow enthusiasts

    SvarSlet